koi4u-2011 facebook  koi4u-2011 hoogland
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Argulus fish lice

Argulus fish lice 20 Jan 2019 21:04 #58484

• MARSSmith
  • Tosai
Hi guys

My fish have been flashing a bit and not coming up for food for a few days, and today I found fish lice swimming in the pond. I caught a few fish to check them and obviously they have lice on them :angry: ...

I have ordered some Dimilin from Koinet via Takealot, and the dose Servaas gives on the Koinet site is 1g/1000l pondwater. I see previous threads regarding Dimilin on this forum talk about higher doses.

I assume one has to repeat it as it's a chitin inhibitor, so probably only works when the lice are moulting/growing. Does it affect adult lice? Repeat doses would be necessary to kill new lice hatching from eggs present when the pond is treated, but at what intervals?

On a positive note, it gave me a chance to practice my koi catching skills.....we built the 20 000l pond (my first) in 2015, and it's exciting to measure the growth of some of my fish in my three and a half years of koi keeping. My 5 year old male chagoi, which was 47cm when I bought him, is now 78cm with a nice body for a male, and I have two 4 year olds, a (too) fat hi utsuri female, and a nice kohaku female, which have reached 67cm from 50cm nisai 2 years ago. They're not show fish, but they look good and I enjoy them! Except when they have lice.....

Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who is experienced with Dimilin use on dosing regimes etc. Also where I could get a decent sized measuring/handling bowl.....

Thanks
Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaco, Rich

Argulus fish lice 23 Jan 2019 08:00 #58486

• Chris Neaves
  • Rokusai
Hi Steve,

I have Dimilin at 2 - 3 grams per 1000 L. 3 times - 5 days apart.

I put this in the Koi Society Health Manual.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: neville, Jaco, Rich, MARSSmith

Argulus fish lice 23 Jan 2019 14:00 #58488

• MARSSmith
  • Tosai
Hi Chris

Thanks very much for this. I dosed it at 1 gram per 1000 litres yesterday. I'll add more now.....

Steve

Argulus fish lice 11 Jul 2019 20:34 #58604

• MARSSmith
  • Tosai
A quick update on this post - I treated the pond with 2g per 1000 litres 3x at 5 day intervals and killed off all the Argulus.

The effect the lice had on the fish was amazing - all huddled miserably on the floor of the pond and not eating much. They responded very well to the treatment, especially after about a week.

Thanks for the advice, Chris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neville

Argulus fish lice 11 Jul 2019 22:10 #58606

• Forever Testing
  • neville
  • Rokusai
To me the Argulus fish lice is the prettiest of all pathogens. Good looking fellows.
Hard Working Pensioner