koi4u-2011 facebook  koi4u-2011 hoogland
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dimilin in Koi Ponds.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 10:17 #40313

• Jaco
  • Rokusai
Cliff wrote:
Jut to add to what Neville has said already........

I had a slightly stressful situation on Saturday. I had done my 2nd winter treatment of Dimilin in my pond......and not an hour later did the electricity go off. The electricity must have been off for at least 12 hours.......and I started to panic. I panicked because I was not sure if the Dimilin would deplete oxygen in the pond like what PP does.

I don't have a gen set or backup of any sort on my pond.....luckily I did a huge backwash and rinse in the morning as my pond was close to over filling from all the rain.

All I can say is that if you do not have gen sets etc or backup, to make absolutely sure that your pond environment is not overstocked and that you maintain your pond as optimally as what you can.

I am thankful that I only have 11 fish in my 30kl pond, that I keep my filters etc maintained as what they should be maintained. So, we all like to have as many fish as possible, but when the kak hits the fan, just remember that a pond with less stand a better chance than a pond with more......have as much air in the pond as possible as well, this is also very important.

Luckily my system came back on in the early hours of the morning, and the whole time that I was monitoring the pond not once did my fish look like they were overly stressed, gulping for air etc......just make sure you maintain your stocking levels if you don't have an alternative backup plan in place.

Cliff i am curious to know why you dose Dimilin before Winter ?
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Koi4U Forum
If I could offer you only one tip for your pond, oxygen would be
it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 10:40 #40315

• Cliff
  • Rokusai
Jaco.....I have in previous years been doing a treatment of PP as we change seasons, so going into winter or going into spring.

Then when I was in the Cape last year, from the guys I visited down there, both spoke highly on Dimilin as a preventative measure that they ensure in their ponds every 2 - 3 months.....so I am trying this out myself instead of going the PP route where I am wiping out everything and anything.

This is now my 2nd treatment 2 and a half months later and thought it a good time as my temps have been dropping fast over the past few weeks.

I get very nervous around these times, when their is huge/fast change, prevention is better than cure I always believe!
My worst fear is that when I die my wife will sell my koi for what I told her I paid for them!!!
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013 10:43 by Cliff.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 10:55 #40317

• Jaco
  • Rokusai
Thanks for the reply, but I thought Dimilin only kills anchorworm and fish lice ???
it.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 11:21 #40318

• Ernst
  • Rokusai
Jaco wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I thought Dimilin only kills anchorworm and fish lice ???

And snails! I confirmed that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neville, Jaco

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 14:53 #40322

• Cliff
  • Rokusai
Jaco wrote:

Well apparently not only, I also have a fish that tailwalks a bit, and Bobby had the same as well as a buoyancy problem with it where it was spending a lot of time of the floor (there was post somewhere about it) he treated with dimilin and resolved all the issues he was having....so I thought what the heck....seems to do more than we think it does so worth a try at the prescribed dosage
My worst fear is that when I die my wife will sell my koi for what I told her I paid for them!!!
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013 15:01 by Cliff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neville

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 25 Apr 2013 15:53 #40324

• Jaco
  • Rokusai
Very interesting tnx !
it.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 01:01 #40333

• Mark
  • Sansai
Good morning Cliff,

I have a 83cm Kohaku that has been "tail walking" since i got her. I'll give the Dimilin a go, starting today, and let you know what happens :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaco

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 04:22 #40334

• Cliff
  • Rokusai
Hi Mark

It slowed my showas tail walking down, but only now that the 2nd treatment has been done 2 and a half months later, in the last week I have not noticed her do it at all.

Treatment I was prescribed was 1g per 1000lts and I did 3 treatments the first time 1 week apart and now 2 treatments 2 and a half month later 1 week apart.

Speak to Colin Hunt and Bobby on this a little further if you wish, cheers :)
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013 04:23 by Cliff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaco

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 05:00 #40335

• HappyKoi
  • Rokusai
Tail walking is not good. Have seen fish slam themselves into the wall doing this - you need to get on top of it pronto. Have you scraped the fish? As you know, my advice is always to positively ID the thing first before just randomly throwing medications into the pond.

Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 05:12 #40336

• Mark
  • Sansai
HappyKoi wrote:
Tail walking is not good. Have seen fish slam themselves into the wall doing this - you need to get on top of it pronto. Have you scraped the fish? As you know, my advice is always to positively ID the thing first before just randomly throwing medications into the pond.

William I totally agree with you. I've had her for two years now and she did it at the previous owner as well. Short of giving her a borroscope I've checked for everything with no indication as to why.

Re: Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 06:54 #40339

• HappyKoi
  • Rokusai
Fish will do that to you. Just seems to be a common (as in communal) issue following the thread - indicates a parasite to me. Costia is small and very easy to miss - would suggest a pro vet take a look. Tail walking is not a habit learned by Koi - something is up.

Is it the only fish showing symptoms? I would expect to see others showing examples of head shaking or flashing, or general irritation. As you know I am not a fan of medication and definitely not chronic/regular dosing willy nilly. Can't see any benefit in treating something that isn't there much less trying to keep a completely sterile pond.

In this case however if it is just the one fish I might chuck her into the q/tine pond and see if the behaviour continues. Far easier to treat in these ponds as well, and equally so to get the water temps up - if your water's not at least 20C you're (largely) wasting your time treating anyway. These things can take a while. Persist, never give up and suddenly you'll crack it one day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

Re: Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 07:15 #40340

• Ernst
  • Rokusai
I think there is a misconception here of a few things. The behaviour Mark is describing is when a koi comes up - takes some air - and then blows bubbles through the gills. Their are various reasons that could cause this. Some bigger fish just do this as part of their behaviour. That is not 'tail walking'.

The behaviour Bobby was treating at the time was for the lack of terminology - "head dropping". That is when a fish hangs mid water with the tail positioned slightly above the head. That is not 'tail walking'.

In my experience 'tail walking' is what it says. The fish basically lifting the entire body out of the water and giving a skip on the tail. I've still have to see a 75+ cm fish do this.
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013 07:17 by Ernst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neville, Jaco, Mark

Re: Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 07:58 #40341

• Forever Testing
  • neville
  • Rokusai
Lol Ernst you are correct here and I agree all three of the mentioned symptoms probably has different diagnosis. With the head hanging one being the more serious one in my book. Fish doing funny things for some time is doubtful of having Costia, Costia don't play it kills fast.

To see real tail walking go catch a 600 plus Lbs marlin that is a sight to see.
Hard Working Pensioner

Re: Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 08:08 #40342

• bobby
Sorry Erns mine was again not sure of the correct term, more tail driving out of the water.

They would swim directly upwards at speed using losts of tail power driving upwards, ending up with more than half of a 75cm fish out of the water in an upright position, ending up with one halavah wave and splash when returning to the pond, sometimes from the house it sounded scary ... B)

At the time my koi was a bit lethargic and eating badly when friend Collin Hunt eventually convinced me to try Dimilin powder, that i was not very keen on.

it was after the second treatment that i notice a definate change in the pile-driving behaviour.

Well they were also more energetic and eating much better.
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013 08:24 by bobby.

Re: Dimilin in Koi Ponds. 26 Apr 2013 08:25 #40345

• Forever Testing
  • neville
  • Rokusai
One thing on the use of Dimilin that I see here is that I thing your dosages used is rather low and care should be taken to create immunity???

The recommended dose in the SAKKS health guide is up to 3 grams per 1000Lt. I have used this dose a few times in the past without any noticed side effects.
Hard Working Pensioner
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013 08:47 by neville. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cliff, Mark