koi4u-2011 facebook  koi4u-2011 hoogland
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shusui

Shusui 05 Jul 2019 14:15 #58583

• MARSSmith
  • Tosai
Hi guys

I bought 3 shusui tosai a few months ago - a normal shusui, a hana shusui, and a hi shusui. I chose one of each as I was interested to see how each one developed.

I'd like to ask whether the hi of shusui gets deeper/more red as they grow, like the gosanke, or is it a case of the colour of the hi you see as a tosai is the hi the fish has for the rest of its life. I know the hi could spread a bit on the fish, but I'm speaking particularly about the colour itself - red vs orange.

The hi shusui has developed some black spots and the dorsal scales are almost black, so I'm not convinced this fish will end up well. The normal shusui looks great but the hi is a lightish orange and it'd be great if it got to be a deeper red. The hana shusui is slightly smaller than the others but has the most pleasing pattern and a deeper red than the others.

I'll see whether I get a chance to catch them for some pics, but the colour of photos isn't always realistic unless you set up properly for it....

Any input will be appreciated.

Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pieter, neville

Shusui 14 Jul 2019 21:06 #58608

• MARSSmith
  • Tosai
Here are some photos I took yesterday - it was very tricky, as despite the cold water, they were still very active. There is also small strands of suspended algae in the water, which always looks worse on a photo, and distorts it a bit.

The fish are between 23 and 26cm, the hana shusui being the smallest. I bought them as 12cm tosai earlier in the year.

As I said in the first post, the hi shusui is not going to develop into a great looking fish....

The colours in the photos are fairly accurate, but not 100%. I have a photo of each fish, and then one with both the normal shusui and the hana shusui, which has the deeper red. I realise it's also in the shadows...

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 14 Jul 2019 21:07 by MARSSmith. Reason: Spelling

Shusui 15 Jul 2019 07:09 #58609

• Chris Neaves
  • Rokusai
One can only go by experience - I find Shusui and asagi are beautiful koi. When they are young the lighter the koi the better. This is because the blood line of these fish has a lot of black in it. The whiter the head the better. Even on baby asagi - go for the light ones.

Evenness of scales is most important as is the lightness of the blue.

Unfortunately a lot of them deteriorate as smudgy black patches grow as the fish grows. In a lot of cases dark patches come out on the head - and the whiteness or clarity of the head in most important.

The hi often grows.

Also bought 3 shusui last year from Leon at Wild Coast koi. Have already given two away. The third is comming along nicely will try to take a picture of it.

If I look at the pictures the third Shusui looks the most promising. Nice clear head, even scales. Cant predict what will happen to the hi but if it stays more or less as it is at the moment and the blue stays clear of blotches it will be a great koi.

Here is an article well worth reading

www.koisa.co.za/articles-on-koi/146-history-of-doitsu-koi.html

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: MARSSmith